The Natchez Garden Club, working hand in hand with our non-profit sister organization the Preservation Society of Ellicott’s Hill (PSEH), is committed to the restoration, preservation and maintenance of our significant historic properties. There is more information about PSEH here.
House on Ellicott’s Hill
On January 22, the Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History awarded $210,400.00 on behalf of the Community Heritage Preservation Grant program to The Preservation Society of Ellicott’s Hill for restoration of the front Gallery of the House on Ellicott’s Hill. The Community Heritage Preservation Grant program, authorized and funded by the Mississippi Legislature, helps preserve and restore historic courthouses and schools in Certified Local Government communities and other historic properties.
“The Legislature has saved hundreds of significant Mississippi properties through this program,” said MDAH director Katie Blount. “The Department of Archives and History is grateful for the Legislature’s support and pleased to be able to help preserve these local treasures.”
PSEH, the non profit arm of the Natchez Garden Club is committed to the restoration, preservation and maintenance of our significant historic properties.
Phase one shoring the front gallery and securing the plaster ceiling has been completed. Work on front gallery to commence in October 2022.
Our previous project, 2016-2019, involved the restoration of the exterior of Magnolia Hall to its original brownstone façade. Through generous contributions from our club and community, and through a grant from Mississippi Department of Archives and History, we were able to transform the stately home back to the original paint scheme envisioned by the builder, Mr. Thomas Henderson, in 1858.
The process began with a historical paint analysis. Painstaking effort went into taking samples through many layers of existing finishes down to the original paint colors. Samples were taken from numerous areas of the exterior stucco, shutters, doors, columns and galleries and were analyzed to determine the specific paint formulas used in the original construction.